Saturday, February 27, 2016

I am well. How are you?

Day 212
Today is the 203rd day of taking a full dose of Azilect and the 95th day of taking a 1.5 mg dose of Pramipexole (after 68 days on a .75 mg dose).

When people who know that I have Parkinson's, ask "how are you?" I always respond "I am well. How are you?"  I do this because I am actually feeling pretty good.  The cold weather, however, seems to counteract my medication. In the fact, the colder it is, the stiffer my right arm becomes.

Last week, I was at Frost Valley, which is a great YMCA camp in upstate New York. You basically get pretty nice accommodations, three meals and four activities a day for very reasonable rate. My wife, son, and I along with a friend and her daughter, did some snow tubing, archery, hiking and rockclimbing. When rockclimbing, however, I was reminded that I still do Parkinson's. My left arm was working great as well as my right and left feet. In order to keep my balance, I was able to quickly change my left hand from handhold to handhold, but when it came time to move my right arm in the same way, I failed. There is of course a harness, so while I failed I did not fall.  The way I got around the slow reaction time in my right arm was to make two moves instead of one. In other words, if under normal circumstances, I would have reached up quickly with my right hand, I reached with my left for that same handhold first and then changed to my right in a slower more controlled movement and then place my left hand back on its original handhold. I estimate that this increase my climbing time by about 30%. Is this the end of the world? No. In fact, one could surmise that the fact that I could climb the rock wall at all was what was important.

So if you ask, "how are you?"

The answer still is, "I am well. How are you?"

2 comments:

  1. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked if I was hurt. I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's. I am now 58. With the new herbal medicine I purchased from Dr Fredrick was my only way to get fast relief from this PD, his herbal supplement effectively reversed my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviated all my symptoms. for more help contact him via email: drfredrick95@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete