Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Parkinsons TV is Live, Grant Approved, Parkinson's In The News



Parkinson's TV Is Live!
I was proud to be a guest on future episodes of this program! Special thanks to Dr Jori Fleisher for getting me involved.  I will update this blog as future episodes are released!  On a side note, Dr. Fleisher has a future in television, that is if she wants one.
 

Grant Approved!
 For those of you following the news about the study I was involved in our grant was approved!

Dear Dr. Bloem,
I would like to formally congratulate you on being awarded a Parkinson’s Foundation
Advancing Parkinson’s Treatments Award for your proposal, “Developmental of a
Virtual Case Manager for Patients with Parkinson's disease.”


I find it necessary to mention that my part in this study as Parkinson's Advocate In Research is a very small one.  I am, however, I am so pleased to help Dr Bloem and his team in anyway that I can.


 News
https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2017/08/03/11-facts-parkinsons-may-not-know/

Parkinson’s News Today
With the help from the Parkinson’s Foundation and other sources, here are 11 facts about the disease most people don’t know.
Below are two:

How prevalent is it?
Approximately one million people have Parkinson’s disease in the U.S. and there are around 50,000 new cases diagnosed each year.


Parkinson’s is expensive. 
Treating patients with Parkinson’s disease costs the U.S. around $25 billion a year. The average patient will need $2,500 worth of medication each year and therapeutic surgery could cost up to $100,000. 


Pod Casts
The Parkinson’s Foundation recently launched its new podcast series, “Substantial Matters: Life and Science of Parkinson’s.” Listen to experts cover the latest in Parkinson's in these 15-minute episodes  http://prn.to/2vpG4i9 

If You Cannot Speak Sing!  
Singing as Therapy: Northern Arizona University’s Choir For People With Parkinson’s Disease
"We get together, and the only thing many of us have in common is music. They often come with very soft, muffled voices, with monotone speech, which is typical of this disorder, but when they sing, they let go and really project their voices, articulate clearly, and move their voices up and down the scale; it’s quite a transformation!"



Take it easy folks, take it easy....

On A Personal Note...
I am doing fine with the exception of one episode of DAWS  (dopamine agonist withdrawal symptoms). At a recent family event, I became clammy and needed to to leave and gets sick.  My apologies to anyone who noticed.  One half a tablet of Mirapex and I was back in the game. As of this Thursday,  I will be off of Mirapex all together. I have mixed feelings about this, however, because while the side effects were bad, the drug did what it was meant to do. I seem to be doing well on carbidopa levodopa, so stay tuned


3 comments:

  1. I am astonished to see how strong you are and trying to tackle those problems by yourself. Really liked this article. Even I am a parkinson patient and am taking diagnosis & parkinson's disease treatment. It has improved me condition a lot better than before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete