Friday, March 19, 2021

I Still Believe In A Process Called Hope.

Hope Is A Plan B Presented At Hostos Community College

A Big THANKS to Hostos Community College

I am grateful to Jason Libfeld, Student Leadership Coordinator, for inviting me to present my workshop "Hope Is A Plan B," at Hostos Community College, CUNY. I have worked in Higher Education for over 30 years and I can honestly say that Jason knows more about leadership than anyone else who I know. The students at Hostos were dedicated leaders who encouraged and inspired me.  

My presentation is based by the work of Dr C.R. Snyder who created the Hope Scale. You can take the Hope Scale yourself by clicking here. While there are several articles and books that feature the hope scale, I found the book, "The Psychology of Hope: You Can Get There From Here" by C.R. Snyder, to be one of the most accessible ways to learn about it. Used copies are available from Amazon.

My colleagues know the way I feel about "edutainment."  This is the term sometimes used for self tests and scales that are easy to administer and understand, but lack in research that validates them. Scores of the Hope Scale have correlated to optimism, self-efficacy and self-esteem. Some research indicates that higher scores on the Hope Scale are related to better outcomes in academics and sports!   

C.R. Snyder viewed hope as an active process. Simply put; hope = willpower + waypower (mental plans or roadmaps) used to achieve a goal. Snyder's work also provides


Feedback From Students

Here are two quotes from the wonderful students at Hostos Community College:

“I am legally blind. 10 years ago, I lost my vision and I thought everything was lost. I decided to have a plan. Today, you gave me what I need, a booster. Thank you, John, for this essential treasure and thank you for your story.”

Carlos Santiago

“Thank you so much for sharing with us John great workshop!!”
Isabel Neira

The Presentation

My current presentation focuses on academic performance in college and utilizes the Academic Subscale of the Domain Specific Hope Scale. (This workshop examines the correlation between hope and academic performance.) I am, however, willing to tailor this presentation to almost any audience.

 

                                                This Is What I Want The Participants In My Workshop To Remember

 


Booking This Presentation & Raising $ For Charity


It has been said, that within the Parkinson's community there is a, "conspiracy of hope." Patients, doctors, researchers and representatives from various foundations and pharmaceutical companies gather together at several events throughout the year and discuss plans for ways to improve our quality of life, treatments that will slow or stop progression of the disease and ultimately a cure!  How would you like the people on your campus or in your organization to form a conspiracy of hope?

 

My goal is to put a mini tour together in which I will spread the message of hope and raise money for the Parkinson's Foundation. This presentation can be done in person (after this pandemic) or online. I offer it for free to all CUNY schools. If you are interested in this presentation for your next training or event, the process is simple. First, you email me (jandrejack@gmail.com) and then, we decide on a fee that works for your budget. Next, you write a check for that amount to the Parkinson's Foundation

 

In short, I will not profit off of any of these presentations, the individuals in your organization learn about the process of hope and together, we raise funds to fight an incurable, degenerative disease! Please email me!

 

 jandrejack@gmail.com

 

Thanks for Reading


John

 


3 comments:

  1. Right on John, my hope score went up just reading this :) --

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete