Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Friends With PD

Day 93
Today is the 84th day of taking a full dose of Azilect and the 43th day on a full dose of Pramipexole.


While, in general, I have been feeling better, I would still like my right arm to swing more naturally and to have less shuffling in my gate. Next month, therefore, my dose of pramipexole will go from .75mg to 1.5mg. My doctor and I had originally agreed to go up to 1mg, however, they do not produce 1mg tablets in pramipexole extended-release. Since the pramipexole has helped so much, I am confident that increasing the dosage will improve my situation. I should note, that there have been side effects and that my doctor warns me that the side effects will most likely increase as the dosage goes up. It is not something that I want to get into on this blog, but if you are a friend, you can ask me and I will let you know what side effect I am experiencing. The co-pay  for pramipexole on my prescription drug plan is $420 for a 90 day supply. I can buy a retail from Canada, however, for only $178 with free delivery! What is wrong with our country? 

On other news, I spoke with a friend, from back in my swing dancing days, who was diagnosed a few years back and he gave me some good advice on websites and services (including some services that I should avoid).  Then on Saturday, I spoke to another friend, also from the NYC swing dancing scene, who was recently diagnosed. I find it shocking that three people in such a small group of individuals were all diagnosed in the last few years, but at the same time, research indicates that one out of every hundred people will be diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I hope that in the future the three of us will be able to help each. It is so important to build a network of supporters after being diagnosed.  So far, I have used the website  Patients Like Me as a support group.  While I have found this website to be very helpful, it is nice to speak to real people about your problems and challenges. I should clarify that I would rather use an online support network then to have anyone I know diagnosed with Parkinson's, but I hope that goes unsaid/untyped. 

Thursday, I have dental surgery scheduled. I am having a hole drilled in my jaw so that an implant can be put in. If you have never had this procedure done, when it is over, you feel as though someone has drilled a hole in your jaw! Luckily, I have five or six oxycodone pills left over from my last surgery. I do not intend to suffer needlessly! After surgery, I will be headed to Revolution 55 spin studio. I will be teaching a 6:15am sunrise spinning class on Monday mornings and I have paperwork to fill out. I am excited about this new class for two reasons, first and foremost this will allow me to walk away from my Sunday morning class and give me a full day to spend with my wife and son. Second, in over 17 years of teaching spinning, this is the very first time that I will teach in an actual spinning studio! (I generally teaching gyms.) 

Enough for now.

4 comments:

  1. LOL!! Having a hole drilled into your jaw feels just like someone is drilling a hole into your jaw.

    Sorry to laugh, because I'm sure it didn't feel good, but that cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete