Friday, August 28, 2015

New Day-New Drug-New Therapy

Day 35

Today is the 28th day of taking a full dose of my medication.

After discussing it with my doctor, I have decided to take an additional drug, Pramipexole. Hopefully, this will help with my current symptoms.  Of course, there is a laundry list of side effects, but the ones most common in younger men (most of my doctor's patients are all between 70 and 90, so I am a younger man), are sleepiness, impulse control, binge eating & hyper sexual activity.  My wife told me to get a mistress!

I went to PT today and learned three new exercises to preserve my balance. My PT has also suggested that I become involved in "dynamic sports".   There is some evidence that suggests involvement in these activities slows the progression of Parkinson's.  The PT suggested basketball and I just laughed.  What I wanted to do was to hold out my hand and say, " meet the last kid picked gym class!" I suggested single point and static trapeze and he has asked me to send him some video clips to see if they count as a dynamic sports. I hope so, because I really need to get up in the air and out of my head.

I went to my first occupational therapy session today and set some goals.These include using my right hand to button my left shirt sleeve cuff,  brush my teeth and work the mouse.  If someone told me two years ago that I would be setting the above items as "goals" I would have laughed in their face!

I am waiting on insurance approval for some assistive technology sessions. My OT thinks that it might be possible for me to receive further training on Dragon speech software. Currently, I am only using it for typing, but I know that it can be used to open files, save documents, send email and open and close windows. I have already ordered the updated version for my Mac at work.

Enough for now.


1 comment:


  1. my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete