Wednesday, September 30, 2015

23 and Me



Day 66

Today is the 57th day of taking a full dose of Azilect and the 16th day on a full dose of Pramipexole.


The Pramipexole is beginning to kick in and I am feeling better.  My right arms seems to be swinging in a more natural way and my gait has improved. Using my right arm, however, to write or type still feels awkward and occasionally, I do shuffle a bit when I walk. All in all though, I am making good progress.

My test kit from 23 and Me arrived yesterday. This is a company that informs you about your lineage/ancestry and will help you find lost relatives. The cost generally is $99, but it is free for anyone with a Parkinson's diagnosis. The company is doing Parkinson's research and apparently making some headway.



Paul Cannon, PhD from 23andMe Parkinson’s Community:


"The deal with Genentech is a collaboration to whole genome sequence approximately 3,000 individuals with Parkinson’s or with a first-degree relative with PD. (The ratio is yet to be determined.) It’s a unique opportunity to learn more about the genetics of people with Parkinson’s disease and hopefully identify novel targets and biological pathways."

Once the kit arrives, all you have to do is spit into a little vial, put it back in the box and mail it out. Shipping is prepaid, which makes it pretty simple. The reason that I described the testing method (other than to gross you out) is that it took me several attempts to fill the vial. This proves that I do not have sialorrhea, the excessive saliva symptom that many Parkinson's patients suffer from.

While it will be interesting to learn more about my ancestry, I am not assuming that hidden relatives will show up on my doorstep.

1 comment:

  1. my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete